On March 1, 1881 Czar Alexander II was returning to the Winter Palace in his armored coach. As he traveled along the embankment of the Griboyedov Canal, a revolutionary tossed a bomb under the galloping horses. The Czar jumped out of the burning carriage unharmed, but an accomplice threw a second bomb that killed the emperor. He was succeeded by his son Alexander III who ordered that a church be built on the spot where his father was assassinated.


The church was designed by Alfred Parland in Russian Revival style and built between 1883 and 1907. It was officially called the Resurrection of Christ Church (a.k.a. The Church of Our Savior on Spilled Blood ).  Both the interior and exterior of the church is decorated with incredibly detailed mosaics, designed and created by the most prominent Russian artists of the day (V.M. Vasnetsov, M.V. Nesterov and M.A. Vrubel).

The Church on Spilled Blood